Route Logistics Coordinator
You will serve (1st September 2018 until 15th December 2018) as the Route Coordinator for the Climate Pilgrimage from Italy to Poland.
Led by Yeb Sano, former climate negotiator from the Philippines, a group of pilgrims will walk 1500 kilometers by foot from Rome to Katowice to highlight the urgency for climate action and climate justice at the upcoming climate negotiations in Katowice, Poland. The route will go across Italy, Slovenia, Austria, Slovakia, Czech Republic, and Poland.
You will focus on managing and supporting all aspects of the pilgrimage, managing the pilgrimage team’s logistical, strategic, and communicational needs between Venice and Katowice. You will work closely with the Pilgrimage, GCCM (Global Catholic Climate Movement) and Greenpeace logistics or campaign teams.
- Based on the proposed draft itinerary, you will identify in detail the walking route that the pilgrimage team will follow each day.
- You will manage any communication with local law enforcement to ensure safe passage for the pilgrimage team.
- You will help arrange speaking engagements at local faith communities and community-based venues along the pilgrimage route.
- You will build relationships with faith-based and civil society partners who may provide meals, lodging or other support services for pilgrims.
- You will serve as the liaison between the Pilgrimage team and partner organizations, host communities, other climate pilgrimages, and other key stakeholders along the route.
- You will work with local coordinators, Wigwam Rural Links, and other partners to identify lodging, meals for pilgrims and coordinate local meetings.
- You will provide logistical support to the pilgrim “guide” and van support on the ground with pilgrims.
- You will collaborate with other climate and faith organizations to coordinate parallel pilgrimages and sync relevant activities, particularly in relation to COP24.
- You have at least 3 - 5 years of professional experience in organizing and coordination work, preferably working on environmental and/or social issues (e.g. poverty, education).
- You have significant experience in coordinating and in building up relationships with Lay and Catholic institutions in Europe. You preferably have contacts along the route.
- You are passionate about the issue of climate change.
- You are an effective consensus builder.
- You are well organized, an outstanding networker and logistics coordinator.
- You are able to work well under pressure.
- You are compassionate and eager to ensure the comfort and safety of the pilgrims.
- You have a healthy sense of humor.
- You take initiative, are pragmatic, and able to manage various tasks and deadlines with a positive and flexible attitude.
- You have written and verbal communication skills in both English and German.
- You have a driver's licence and are allowed to drive in all mentioned countries
This is a short term engagement. You will preferably be based in Austria, and must be available for extensive travel between Italy, Slovenia, Austria, Slovakia, Czech Republic, and Poland, from October until December.